Another huge sporting event has been canceled due to the deadly coronavirus plaguing the world right now. The Open Championship is the oldest golf event in the world, and this year was going to be the 149th year the event had been played.
The event known as The Open or The British Open was canceled by event officials, and it was not a complete surprise. The event was given a new date next year, which offers some hope to those that were disappointed by the decision.
The Open was supposed to begin on July 16 at the Royal St. George’s Golf Club in England. News of the cancellation came on the same day as British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was sent to an intensive care unit in a London hospital.
The 55-year-old leader was diagnosed with the coronavirus 10 days ago. He was self-isolating at his home on Downing Street. Over the weekend, his fever remained high, and his symptoms related to the virus continued to get worse. President Donald Trump called Johnson a good friend of his and a good friend to the American people.
Organizers of The Open have rescheduled the event to take place next year, July 15 to July 18, at the same club, the Royal St. George’s Golf Club. Although it was disappointing, most of the feedback organizers received has been supportive and positive, an official said.
As New Yorkers are dealing with the worst outbreak of the coronavirus in the country, some people are extremely dismayed with Governor Andrew Cuomo. Sports betting advocates in the Empire State say if there was ever a time for a distraction, this is that time.
People are locked up in small quarters, said a source, and they are dealing with horrible news reports constantly, at least they could be distracted by virtual sports that are being wagered on. The Open was the ninth event to be canceled by the PGA, as all major sporting events are still on a blackout.
The Masters was supposed to begin this week, but the word now is the event will be shuffled to November unless the health situation is not yet resolved at that point. The PGA is expected to make an announcement this week.
Although Governor Cuomo has been a steady calm voice to the people of New York during the crisis, he has managed to anger some of his constituents. He worked at a new budget last week, and although he said he would consider online sports betting, he deliberately did not allow it, according to his detractors.
Had Cuomo given the green light to online sports betting, New Yorkers would have been able to place bets from their cell phones in 2021. Advocates and sponsors of the multi-billion dollar business say it’s back to the drawing board for them. No matter what, supporters of all things sports betting say they will get it passed, and people have to remain vigilant and patient.