The MLB (Major League Baseball) is currently considered to be the most important professional baseball league in the world. This league is now made out of both the American League and the National League, ever since the merger of the two in the year 2000. This happened after more than 100 years of being two separate leagues.
The MLB is now made out of 29 teams from United States and 1 team from Canada. The MLB baseball games are very popular in United States and they are considered to be the 5th most watched and attended sports leagues in the world.
Normally the MLB is going to start in April and the season will last until October. Under this period of time there will be more than 162 games to watch and to place your bets on. This means that you get the chance to see plenty of action. In addition to the regular season’s games, you also get the chance to bet on the All-Star game, World Series plus the post season games.
What are the most popular MLB bets available?
The bets that you can make on MLB games are going to be a little bit different compared to what you are used to normally at the other sports where you have probably placed bets in the past. One thing that manages to set the MLB betting apart of the other sports is the fact that there are no spread bets available for the games.
- MLB Money Line Bets – This is by far one of the most popular bets that you can make on baseball. The reason why the money lines are so popular is because it’s very simple to understand how this bet works. You will basically need to bet on the outcome of the game. The point spread at this bet has absolutely no effect on the actual outcome of the bet. If the selected team wins, you get to have a winning bet.
- MLB Over/Under Bets – These bets are also known as the total bets. Here you will have to place a bet on the total number of runs that are scored by both teams that are participating in a game. In order to win this bet you will have to guess whether the number of runs is going to be either over or under the number which is given out by the online sportsbook. In case the number of runs that you enter proves to be exactly the same as the one that the online sports betting site, the bet is considered to be a push.
- MLB Run Line Bets – The run line bets at MLB are a bet which is considered to be similar to a point spread. In order to make things simpler for you to understand how this bet works, we are going to give out an example. In case you find a run line bet at an online sportsbook that is fixed at 1.5 points. The team on which you placed the bet must win the game with at least two runs, in order to have a winning bet.
MLB Major Events
- MLB All Star Game – The All Star game is able to bring out the best players from the MLB in front of you in one of the most challenging game every year. This event is also known as the Midsummer Classic. The All-Star game is held between the National League and the American League. The selection of the All Star game is made out of a complex procedure that takes into consideration the opinion of fans, players, team coaches and team managers. This game takes place right in the middle of the MLB season in the 2nd Tuesday of July. This game is very popular and therefore it represents an excellent betting opportunity.
- MLB World Series – The World Series has been played between the American League and the National League ever since 1903 and it’s the annual championship series of the MLB. This is going to be played in October and it is also known as the Fall Classic. The winning team of the World Series is taken off from a best of 7 playoffs. The final World Series game is definitely one of the most exciting events of the MLB and it manages to drag a lot of attention of both fans and bettors.
Top 5 MLB betting tips
- Don’t bet on the heavy favorites teams – The favorites teams receive a lot of bets and the odds are not going to be in your favor. In order to make sure that you take out some money out of your online MLB sports betting activities you must make sure that you find betting opportunities. People are already betting heavily on the favorite’s teams and this means that the chance of finding an opportunity there is going to be minimal. However in case you do decide to place a bet on a heavy favorite team, you must make sure that you place a run line bet.
- Take into consideration the injuries – One thing that manages to set baseball apart of the other sports where you have already placed bets on is the fact that one player can have a massive impact on a game, especially if that player is the pitcher. This is the reason why you should always check that the pitcher is in great form.
- Do some research before placing a bet – The internet is going to be a handy tool when trying to place an MLB bet. You can always try to find as much information as possible about the teams on which you are about to place the bets.
- Placing bets without having a look at the odds – This is a common mistake that is made by the inexperienced baseball bettor. When placing a bet you should always have a look at the odds, since this is by far one of the most important information that you have to use.
- Taking too much into consideration the injuries – The baseball teams are made out of professional players. This means that in case one of them gets injured, there will be others just as great as him to cover his position. This means that you should not worry too much about the injuries, of course except for the situation when something happens to the pitcher.