Strength of Schedule, MAC Play, Recent History
This is the first time this season that Kent State will play against a nationally-ranked team. They started the season with an 8-2 mark. Losses were to Liberty 77-70 and Louisville 83-70. After the loss to the Cardinals, which occurred on December 15, the Golden Flashes beat Oregon State 66-63. The win over the Beavers marked the start of a nine-game stretch where Kent State won seven and lost two. MAC losses were to Bowling Green 86-64 and Eastern Michigan 95-61. For the record, on January 19 the Golden Flashes beat NIU 78-68. They’ve won their last three games.
Over the last few seasons, Buffalo has dominated Kent State and have covered 10-of-14 meetings. However, those four times they did not cover were over their last four meetings. Slight edge for Bulls.
Golden Flashes/Bulls Pick – Statistics
The Bulls are plus-7.7 PPG over the Flashes. In points against, Buffalo is allowing 1.9 fewer points per game. That gives them a combined PF/PA of +9.6. Although field goal percentage is close, Kent State certainly has a decided edge in three-point percentage, 36.0%-to-34.2%. Still, this season, Buffalo has made 20 more threes than Kent State. Also, the Bulls are tops in APG (17-to-15) and RPG (40-to-35). In addition, the Bulls are +2.1 in offensive rebounds.
Tonight’s Key Players
- For Bulls three players top in scoring and rebounding – guards Massinburg and Harris and forward Perkins with a total of 47.2 PPG and 20.5 RPG
- For the Flashes, junior forward Philip Whittington (9.5 PPG, 7.7 RPG) looks to command the paint
- Three-point duel – State’s Jaylin Walker (45 3PT%) vs Bulls’ C.J. Massinburg (42 3PT%)
- For Kent State, guard Jalen Avery needs to set up plays and keep ball moving
- Bulls have Massinburg and Caruthers to precipitate ball movement and set up plays
In our Golden Flashes/Bulls pick, we like Buffalo’s roster. They’re deeper and are more diverse.
Our Buffalo at Kent State Spread Pick
Our Golden Flashes/Bulls pick is leaning towards Buffalo. They should have the stuff to beat Kent State tonight. Remember that game time for this event is 6:30 pm ET. Our pick is the Bulls at -8.0. We also have the totals pick on this game!